The yoga center of Lisbon
Founded officially in 1986/7 by Yoga Teacher Carlos Rui and a group of students and yoga practitioners, in order to dignify, transmit and disseminate the practice of yoga, CPY has seven accredited centers: two in Portugal (Lisbon and Braga), four in Spain (Valencia, Torrent, Alzira and Puçol) and one in Uruguay
Created in 1978 but which only opened its doors to the general public nine years later, CPY Lisbon is where it all begins, and is where the guiding principles are also defined and later transported to the other accredited centres:
- Preserve the technical and traditional teaching of Yoga practice, combining the oriental roots of this art with the healthy contribution of Western science;
- Orgorganize education programs that respect the natural particularities of practitioners, respecting the natural rhythm of progression of each individual;
- Promote a practice and conviviality among students and the faculty that is stimulating and familiar, through a framework of personalized teaching, based on small classes;
- Cultivate cheerfulness and a sense of humor.
Besides the Lisbon, Braga, Valencia and Tenerife centres, our teachers also teach in other specific locations:
- Portugal – Lisbon, Cascais, Torres Vedras, Almada, Porto, Braga, Portimão e Azores;
- Spain – Valencia and the Canary Islands.
CPY Lisbon is situated in the city centre, in the São Sebastião neighborhood – the new avenues.
It is near the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation [Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian] and the El Corte Inglês shopping centre.
The following transport options will leave you near the Yoga Centre:
- By Metro take the “Linha Azul” [Blue Line] and get off at the São Sebastião station.
- Bus no. 713 and 742 stop very close to the Centre’s entrance.
- If coming by car, there is metered parking on the Centre’s street, or there are the Conde Valbom and Berna car parks close by.
Around the Centre you will find many places of interest, including places to dine and areas where you can take a stroll.
By the Centre there are several bakeries and cafes for snacks:
- O Pão Nosso, Padaria Portuguesa, A Choupana, Vélocité Café, etc.;
- An organic product shop with a snack bar – “Miosótis”;
- Several restaurants, including vegetarian resturantes (“Oásis”).
After your meal, take advantage of the tours available:
- The Eduardo VII Park (Parque Eduardo Sétimo) behind El Corte Inglês.
- Or the pleasant Gulbenkian garden, next to the Centre.
At the Calouste Gulbenkian Foundation you can enjoy the various museum exhibitions, as well as see a concert or attend a conference. For children, there are also many activities.
Close by to the Centre there are several shopping centres with restaurants and cinemas:
- El Corte Inglês
- Dolce Vita Monumental
- Atrium Saldanha
- Saldanha Residence
- Campo Pequeno Shopping Centre