Due to the numerous physiological and psychological effects, inverted postures are of prime importance for your practice.
– Will revitalize all your organism
– Improve blood circulation
– Tone the endocrine system
– Due to the increasing blood supply to the brain, your ability to focus is improved, contributing to a deeper and reinvigorating sleep.
You can be sure that at muscular and articulate level, has surprising effects:
– Eliminates the feeling of heaviness and tension in the legs, making them lightweight and relaxed.
– Strengthen the joints of the wrists, elbows and shoulders.
– Simply relax and stretch cervical ligaments and tendons.
– Will strengthen your abdominal, dorsal, lumbar, and inner thigh muscles.
At an organic level you can expect:
– A substantial improvement of lymphatic drainage of the legs, abdominal and pelvic area.
– Revitalize your internal organs, and in particular the Sirsasana, activates the pituitary gland; Sarvangasana improves and regulates the functioning of the thyroid and para-thyroid glands, strengthening your central nervous system, making your mind more focused.
Now, let’s try to explain you in a simple way, and from Yoga’s viewpoint, the physiology of inverted postures:
The force of gravity increase Kapha in the head quieting it, and making it passive.
Tarpaka kapha is responsible for the nutrition of the sense organs is nourished and strengthened in this way.
In Sirsasana, shoulders and chest have to move against the force of gravity. The Vata is stimulated in the shoulders by this lifting action, refreshes Avalambaka kapha, which maintains and balances the body systems.
In Sarvangasana, the lifting motion of the chest away from the shoulders, continues and reinforces the action of Avalambaka Kapha.
In all inverted postures is stimulated and increased movement of Prana and Udana in the upper torso, contributing and improving respiratory efficiency and qualities that are controlled by it: cortical / brain function, perception, heart function (prana), firmness, intensity and vocal clarity, memory, insight, discernment, and extends the capability of wakefulness (Udana).
The inversion of the abdominal and pelvic organs moves Samana Vata and Apana Vata, taking a refreshing action over these.
Samana Vata activates the gastric fire (Pacãka Pita). Thus greatly improves digestion.
Thus also, Apana Vata moves freely in the right direction by the excretory and reproductive system, improving health conditions.
The inversion of the legs and trunk changes the pull of gravity on Vyana Vata responsible for heart function and blood circulation, which helps to rest and relax the heart, stimulating circulation.
Sadhaka Pita located in the heart is stimulated, thus improving the functions related to intelligence, perseverance, enthusiasm and achievement of our goals.
Learning the inverted postures
You should be aware that Viparita Sthiti, inverted postures, have numerous specific details and adjustments related to the condition and constitution of each individual student, which only an experienced and competent teacher can transmit safely.
Stay out of adventures alone, or in the company of someone who has no competence or experience to teach you these techniques, and specific adjustments to your case.
Overall, you should learn the inverted postures in a sequence that facilitates the understanding and progression, the most basic to the most complex.
You must pay attention to the use of specific material, such as:
Blankets – 2-3
And the indispensable stiky-mat.
This, to the inverted postures over the shoulders and their preparatory. Because the execution of the inverted over the shoulders directly on the floor, or on a simple stiky-mat, is really a Flinstons prehistoric Mexican version style scenario.
Now without joking, you should take care to safeguard your health, and with your neck and cervical you can’t make experiments and silly games.
The sequence of practice that we can indicate is the following.
1 – Setu Bandha Sarvangasana (with suitable material)
2 – Viparita Karani (with suitable material)
3 – Ardha halasana with material support to the shoulders and knees
4 – halasana with material
5 – Salamba Sarvangasana
You must learn this sequence with your teacher so he can explain to you how and wich material you should use.
Look, we purposely did not mention the Sirsasana, because his apprenticeship will be referred to in another article to write soon.
Do not forget that the inverted postures have some contraindications:
1. Remove contact lenses for the inverted execution .
2. Do not executes inverted postures during menstruation.
3. Do not executes inverted postures if you have a very high blood pressure, heart problems, retinal detachment, or hearing impaired.
4. If you have neck injuries.
5. During pregnancy you can perform these postures with the use of material, since it does not make you feel any discomfort or if you have any medical contraindication.
– Develop your determination and persistence, as well as sensitivity when approaching inverted postures.
– In these postures always uses the rule: think very well first and act later, do not make movements inadvertently.
You’ll see that watching the world upside down is also very fun!